Wednesday, July 24, 2013

edible and medicinal wild resources

After recent rains i found this very obnoxious weed that came up in the garden (which is all harvested now).
a thick reddish watery stem and thousands of painful spines coming from each leaf and branch. I discovered it to be what is call Spiny Amaranth (Amaranthus spinosus).
a few searches on Google and i discovered besides being a source of remedy for many ailments, it is also very high protein source and eaten/cooked like you would spinach.
long story short, this is a very useful plant so it will be harvested and spared from the "Round-up" spray.

i then, by accident ran across the uses for Smilax Glauca and discovered it is the main ingredient in old-fashioned Sarsaparilla drink along with several medical uses. So once again, another useful plant on the ranch.

I've found many other native plants on the property that are either a food source, medicinal use, or natural insecticide. if i can get my photos pulled off my phone, i'll post them later.

I also have Passion flower ("passiflori incarnata") growing wild. I've been told that a tea from the dried flowers is very soothing and relaxing. I'll have to give it a try sometime.


No comments:

Post a Comment